- Homepage ManSYS
- Quality in metal AM
In this chapter quality aspects related to the printing process in Additive Manufacturing are discussed. A short summary of the full document, with external links is given. The full documentcan be downloaded HERE.
Keywords: preparation of the AM machine, QA/QC in build profile, process parameters, external inspection systems
Once the three inputs in the value chain are defined (e.g. design, material and machine), the 3D printing process can start. The current chapter describes the quality aspects regarding the production processes.
- Build preparation
- Process monitoring and control
- EBM/SLM standard parameters
- Further reading
1. Build preparation
Protocols for setting up and starting the build procedures according to the ISO 9001 guideline are described for both SLM and EBM systems.
These can be (1) generic, (2) the physical preparation of the machine, (3) software preparation of the machine and (4) preparation of the build profile.
2. Process monitoring and control
This chapter describes the process monitoring and control systems for SLM and EBM. It describes (1) internal control systems, (2) process monitoring systems, (3) standards for process monitoring, (4) standards to be monitored and (5) the effect of process parameters on quality of the part.
3. EBM/SLM standard parameters
Standard parameters to be monitred can be preheating, catch, beam, square, melt, heating, thickness and several more parameters. These parameters and values are described in the full 'Process' document.
4. Further reading
- Blogs from insidemetaladdtivemanufacturing.com on process parameters
- Review of in-situ process monitoring and in-situ metrology for metal additive manufacturing
- Article on the most common defects in powder bed fusion
- Article: Process monitoring and quality control: commercial implementations
- Article: SLM process control - pre-processing of reactive aluminium powders to minimise porosity
- Laser powder bed fusion additive manufacturing of metals; physics, computational, and materials challenges
- Metal AM.com, spring 2016 edition. Labs PrintRite3D® methodology for process control and overall quality assurance